Full Length Lesson Plans from an Elementary School Teacher
Math Lesson Plan: Calendar Counting
- Counting by 2’s. THIS LESSON CAN BE DONE FOR COUNTING BY 3’s OR 5’S AS WELL.
- Calendar page for each student
- One smelly marker or highlighting marker or bingo dabber for each student
- classroom One Hundred Chart
- 8″ X 11″ paper (reuse scrap photocopy paper, using the other side), stress recycling to students
- Ruler, pencil, eraser for each student
- Tell students we will be learning to count by 2’s. Review skipcounting on the Hundreds Chart. Remind students of the pattern (every number ends with a 0, 2, 4, 6 or 8…repeat) (**PATTERN FOR 3’s, 3/6/9, (then 1 less 2/5/8), (then 1 less 1/4/7), (then 1 less 0/…repeat) (***PATTERN FOR 5’s, 5, 0…repeat)
- Give students calendar page and marker. Have students colour the squares in for 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, etc.
- When students are done, ask them if they see a pattern. (I. diagonal lines are uniform, II. all numbers end in 0, 2, 4, 6 and 8) This uniformity ensures their work is correct. Stress that there are many patterns in math.
- For additional credit (level 4), students can tape an 8″ X 11″ page to the bottom of the calendar and continue numbering to 100 (for grade 1’s) or 200 (for grade 2’s), USE RULER TO DRAW LINES SIMILAR TO CALENDAR, following the patterning set out in their calendar, spacing out and writing the numbers 7 across (for example, 32/33/34/35/36/37/38 then next line 39/40/41/42/43/44/45 then next line, etc), so that the diagonal lines match upper calendar work when every second number is coloured in.